Tonight’s session cancelled due to staff illness and Yr 11 exam pressures. Apologies Mr Archer
Monday 13 May, Lidl have an offer on. Seems like a good deal. It is well worth having blister plasters in your first aid kit. Link below:
May I remind you of the Expedition Date for this year, it is Saturday 13th July 2013 to Thursday 18th July 2013.
To all Gold Final
There is no DofE session for you next Wednesday 8th May. The next time you are in is on Wednesday 22nd May and it is the bleep test, so please come prepared.
1. Dry your tent and waterproofs after the prelim expedition
2. Train for the Qualifying expedition. Get 2-3 walks in. The best way is to find a steep hill and go up and down for 30 mins carrying a heavy ruc-sac
3. If you had sore/blistered feet buy some compeed blister plasters
4. Meeting on Tues with Miss Skinner and Miss Murphy
Monday 15 April, 3pm, ICT 5.
This is mopping up. Most people have registered in on 11 or 18 March. However, if you did not turn up for them then this is a last chance so please make sure you attend. Mr Archer
Check what you need for your expeditions, download a full kit list here Expedition Kit List
There is also some further advice on kit under ‘DofE at SMC’ menu at the top of the site. Remember there is a lot of kit we provide for you to borrow including waterproofs, rucksacks, tents, stoves, fuel bottles and fuel.
Don’t forget… There are some great bits of kit at Poundland and check out Field & Trek/Sports Direct especially if you are looking for boots.
Poundland (that’s right… POUNDLAND) have some great stuff in for your expeditions, and guess what? They’re a quid each! BARGAIN!
The best bits I spotted were:
- LED Headtorches
- 0.5l aluminium water bottles (remember you will need at least 1l)
- travel wash kit sets – basically a bag of empty containers ready for you to fill with your own shower gel, etc – also include a flannel and toothbrush – very lightweight!
So excellent value! Get down there pronto!
Next Bronze sessions, after Easter are Ready, Steady, Cook challenges. Groups will need to bring the following:
- food to cook for one or two meals
- plates or bowls and cutlery
- a cloth or sponge and some washing up liquid to clean the pans
Please organise these with your groups and remember the types of food discussed at your last evening sessions!
Meals cooked should be suitable for expedition and tasty!
The Conway Centre Outdoor Education Service are running a residential for Gold participants. It will be based at Tattenhall Outdoor Education Centre (near Chester) and includes accommodation and meals, a variety of outdoor activities (climbing, kayaking, gorge walking, bushcraft, mountain biking, high level ropes, teambuilding and problem solving), an environmental project with the local community.
The price is £295 per person. Dates are Tuesday 27 – Saturday 31 August
To register your interest email email@example.com